Notice of upcoming elections to fill positions on the 2017 LPVC Executive Committee has been mailed to all current members. The final date and time have been set. The Annual Elections Business Meeting will be held on Wednesday January 18 at Mimi’s Cafe in Thousand Oaks, 400 North Moorpark Road (805-373-6161). You may want to come early at 6:30 PM to order food; otherwise, the meeting will start at 7:00 PM.
All members and those who would like to become members are encouraged to attend so that they may vote—and perhaps even run—for one of these county LP positions. The LPVC needs a strong central group of active volunteers, especially if we are to build on the momentum garnered from the recent election. Please consider becoming a part of your local Libertarian team.
County Party Officer Positions open are Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, Treasurer, and the heads of the following committees: Membership, Fundraising, Volunteer, Newsletter, Campaign, Media and Event. The Chair must be a registered Libertarian. All officers must be dues-paying members of the county party. No officer may be registered in any political party other than the Libertarian Party.
Nominations may be made in advance or at the election meeting in January. All nominated candidates must acknowledge either in writing or at the meeting that they are available and willing to serve. If you are unable to attend the elections business meeting but would like to run for one of the positions, (please note following correction) you may provide a written statement to someone of your choice to have your name put into nomination from the floor of the meeting that day.
An abridged version of the Officer duties is listed here. Members may request the complete printout from the Bylaws by emailing email@example.com or by calling 805-642-LPVC.
- The Chair shall preside at all Central Committee meetings and at all meetings of the Executive Committee. He or she shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the Party.
- The Vice Chair shall act as assistant to the Chair and shall perform the duties of the Chair in the event the Chair is, for any reason, unable to perform the duties of his or her office.
- The Secretary shall be the recording officer of the Party. The Secretary shall be responsible for maintaining the Party membership list and for receiving or sending formal notifications as shall be specified in the Constitution, By-laws and Meeting Rules, and shall be responsible for recording and promptly distributing minutes of Party proceedings. The Secretary shall maintain a current set of Standing Rules.
- The Treasurer shall receive, expend, and account for the funds of the Party under the supervision and direction of the Chair and Executive Committee.
- The Membership Chair shall be responsible for maintaining and increasing the number of Contributing Members to the Party.
- The Fundraising Chair shall be responsible for raising money to support the Party’s growth.
- The Volunteer Chair shall be responsible for recruiting, motivating and coordinating volunteers for activities sponsored by the Party.
- The Newsletter Chair will be responsible for the publication of a newsletter for dissemination of information about the Party to Contributing Members.
- The Campaign Chair shall be responsible for coordinating candidate recruitment, training, and support.
- The Media Chair shall be responsible for the dissemination of information about the Party to the media and the public.
- The Events Chair shall be responsible for the planning and oversight of events held for the benefit of Contributing Members.
The continued growth and strength of the Party depends on adding new faces to the Officer roster for 2017. Consider bringing your energy and talents to your local LPVC. If you have any questions about the positions or the election procedure, feel free to contact the Party at firstname.lastname@example.org or 805-642-LPVC. Remember to come and vote for your Executive Committee members on January 18!